Skip to main content

We've launched a new candidate experience, making applying to roles faster and easier than ever!

Reconnect with us today by searching and applying for open jobs or sign up for the Talent Network to stay informed.

Please be aware of attempts to take advantage of people seeking jobs at Cedars‑Sinai through fraudulent websites and email domains. Learn more.


The Visa and Immigration Compliance (VIC) team provides a wide array of services to departments and over 500 international employees and visiting scientists coming to Cedars-Sinai. VIC, a division of the HR Service Center, provides comprehensive immigration advising services, programs and informational resources that facilitate the hiring of international employees in support of Cedars-Sinai's mission and help international scholars and their families in achieving their academic, professional and personal goals.

In addition to oversight of Cedars-Sinai's immigration services, the VIC office also oversees I-9 compliance for the medical center.

Information on this site pertains only to employment or sponsorship by Cedars-Sinai and is not intended to be nor should it be used as immigration legal advice. In addition, individual experiences may differ and procedures may vary, as the information is subject to change at any time.

For an individual who is not planning to travel, but has an expiring CA driver’s license, the CA DMV will only issue a new license with documentation showing an approved H-1B end date in the future — a receipt notice will not suffice. If we will be filing an H-1B extension petition on your behalf, please examine your driver's license expiration date and take this information into consideration.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free contact Alex Young (email:; phone: 310-423-2427), or Sonya Gold (email:; phone: 323-866-7618).

Certain H-4 Spouses Eligible to Apply for Employment Authorization

Starting on May 26, 2015, an H-4 dependent spouse of H-1B nonimmigrants who are on the pathway to permanent residence, but who cannot yet apply for their green cards due to the immigrant visa backlogs would be eligible to apply for employment authorization if:

  • His or her H-1B spouse is the principal beneficiary of an approved I-140 petition; or
  • His or her H-1B spouse have been granted H-1B status beyond the six-year limit based on the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act (AC21) (i.e. at least 365 days have elapsed since an unexpired PERM labor certification application, or a pending I-140 petition, was file for the principal H-1B holder).

Eligible H-4 dependent spouses must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with supporting evidence and the required fee, in order to receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will begin accepting applications on May 26, 2015. Once USCIS approves the Form I-765 and the H-4 dependent spouse receives an EAD card, he or she may begin working in the United States.

Additional information is available on USCIS website or contact the VIC team (Visa& if you have any questions.

The U.S. Department of State recently published substantial changes to the J-1 visa regulations, as follows:

  • Objective measurement of English language proficiency.
    New J-1 participants must have proficiency in the English language, as determined by an objective measurement of English language proficiency, sufficient to participate in their programs and to function on a day-to-day basis. Host departments will need to document and certify the method by which English language proficiency was determined before the form DS-2019 is issued to the prospective J-1 visitor. The following methods are acceptable:
    • Recognized English language test (ex. TOEFL, etc.)
    • Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school, or
    • Documented interview conducted either in person, by videoconference or by teleconference


  • J-1 principal and J-2 dependents must report the following information to VISA office within 10 days of any change:
    • Primary e-mail address
    • Personal phone number
    • Departure from the U.S. if leaving prior to the final departure of the J-1 spouse or parent
    • Residential and mailing address
    • Financial support
    • Physical site of activity
  • New health insurance minimum coverage requirements effective on May 15, 2015. All J-1 and J-2 visa holders must have health insurance that meets these minimums:
    • Medical benefits: $100,000 per accident or illness
    • Repatriation of remains: $25,000
    • Medical evacuation: $50,000
    • Deductible: not to exceed $500

Insurance coverage must begin upon arrival in the U.S. and must not end before the J-1 visitor's final departure.

Fraud Detection and National Security Site Visits

What you should know about Fraud Detection and National Security Site Visits.

Reminder Regarding Travel Outside the U.S.
Are you planning a trip outside of the U.S.? Don't forget to notify the office prior to your travel to obtain the necessary travel validation documents or an updated employment verification letter.

  • J-1 scholars and J-2 dependents need a valid signature on the DS-2019 form along with other supporting documents to re-enter the U.S.
  • Other visa status holders (H-1B, H-4, E-3, O-1, etc.) must carry the original I-797 Approval Notice and an employment verification letter.
  • If you need a travel signature or employment verification letter, please contact Alex or Sonya at least two weeks prior to your trip abroad.

More information about travel advisories from the U.S. Department of State can be found on their web page. For more information about re-entry into the U.S., please click here.


We Value Your Feedback
We want to hear from you. In order to improve our services to you, please let us know your thoughts on our website and applications format.

Change of Address

The Immigration & Nationality Act (INA Section 265) requires all non-immigrants and permanent residents, including international students, scholars, and their families, to report any change of address in the U.S. to the federal government. 

Immigration regulations require that you report any changes in address after arrival in the United States within ten days of moving.

To do so:

  1. Email the VIC team (Visa& your new residential address; 
  2. Update your HR Records by contacting the HR Service Center (phone: 424.314.6947) or online at; AND
  3. Update your account in the Foreign National Information System (FNIS) at: Any issues with login/password should be addressed to:

F or J visas sponsored by other organizations or institutions:
Sponsorship by another organization refers to those with Fulbright sponsorship or other visa sponsorship and those working at Cedars Sinai on Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training from another school. In addition to completing steps 1 & 2, you must also report your change of address to your visa sponsor directly. Please contact your sponsoring institution or agency for details on how best to submit this information to them.  

All other immigration categories: H-1B, TN, O-1, E-3 and U.S. Permanent Residents: 
In addition to completing steps 1 & 2, you must also complete USCIS’s Form AR-11, Alien's Change of Address.

Quick Links

Contact Us

Visa and Immigration Compliance (VIC)

HR Service Center
6500 Wilshire Blvd., 7th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90048

Sr. Immigration Specialists

Alex Young (B1/WB/F-1/J-1 Matters)
Phone: 310-423-2427

Sonya Gold (H-1B/O-1/TN/E-3/Permanent Residence Matters)
Phone: 323-866-7618

Hours: Weekdays 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
An appointment is required unless otherwise noted.